Hiking up Kasteelspoort to the top of Table Mountain
I find Kasteelspoort to be the third easiest route up Table Mountain. The route winds its way up the mountain, above Camps Bay. The views of the ocean and Lion’s Head is spectacular.
Park near the boom in Theresa Avenue, Camps Bay. Google map
Walk up the cement path for about 1km. There will be two jeep track turnoffs to the left, keep going.
The road veers to the right and then there will be a small path running paralelle to the jeep track. Take the contour path and head back in the direction of the city.
If you miss the path, you will get to a white cement drain in the middle of the jeep track. This indicates that you have gone too far.
On the countour path, you pass a bench on the left and then you will see a sign to Kasteelspoort.
You follow the path all the way up the mountain.
From the top you have the following options down:
- Woody Ravine. This is the closest to Kasteelspoort, basically the next path South.
- Corridor Ravine. Turn right and follow the path on the mountain. You will come to a place where you need to scramble up. There is a path to the left of that, which is much easier to take down. Not far after this scramble, you will find Corridor Ravine.
- Constantia Nek. This is the most gentle walk down but you will need to get an Uber from Constantia Nek back to Camps Bay – if you have left your car in Theresa Avenue. Walk in the direction of the huts. Pass the huts on your left hand side and then veer right at the trees. Constantia Nek is sign posted here. You will then pass the dam and end up on a tar road going all the way down.
- Nursery Ravine or Skeleton Gorge. If you pass the huts and keep on going, you will get to a dam which looks like it has a beach. You can follow the directions down to Nursery Ravine or Skeleton Gorge. You will then end up in Kirstenbosch.
- Cable Car. This is quite a far walk from Kasteelspoort to the cable car. When you see the signs to Nursery Ravine and Skeleton Gorge, you keep on walking in the direction of the city.