Fun things to do with children in Cape Town:
- Chill with the penguins: Take a short drive to Boulders Beach to have a look at the penguins. I think this is one of the highlights of a holiday in Cape Town.
- See stars at the Planetarium: Sound and light are combined to reproduce the southern heavens on the domed ceiling of the Planetarium, alongside the South African Museum in the Gardens. Tel. 021 481 3900
- Explore the depths: The Two Oceans Aquarium has more than 3000 animals in 9 galleries for your viewing pleasure, including sharks, turtles, kelp forest etc. Tel: 021 418 3823 or www.aquarium.co.za
- Warrior Toy Museum: Simonstown is home to the toy museum which includes a huge display of dinky toys, dolls, boats, trains and other toys. Tel. 021 786 1395.
- The icing on the cake: Let the kids work off their energy at the Ice Station at Grand West Casino. The ice skating takes place in sessions, please phone for times. Tel. 021 505 7777
- Digging for diamonds: A trip to Simon’s Town’s Scratch Patch and Mineral World is never a disappointment. Children can sit for hours sifting through millions of polished gemstones that cover the floors. Tel. 021 786 2020. There is a smaller scale Scratch Patch (with indoor Putt-Putt) at the V&A Waterfront.
- Visit the different play areas in Camps Bay.
- If hunger strikes head over to Col’Cacchio pizzeria in Victoria Road, Camps Bay. Kids are given their own dough to create a master piece as well as crayons etc.
- For a treat after lunch grab an ice cream in Camps Bay!